13 May, 2009

Homeschooling happiness, packing problems and bee bother.

I have no complaints about a homeschooling boy who says, "I could start work early." And who then, when basically finished for the morning, says, "I want to write a story." Then later, he picked up a book (hitherto almost unknown) and started reading it, with the occasional, "Mummy, what does c-o-u-n-t spell." Ah, if only I'd known these pleasures of homeschooling earlier. This same child is refusing to go outside today. He is worried the bees are targeting him (bees=anything smaller than a butterfly which flies). I don't know what to do to counter this new phobia. I didn't do too well at the last one - toilet flushing phobia. Had a packing problem last night. I started taking some books off the shelf in the boys room to put into a "to be packed" pile. My husband started to worry that we would get our packing done too fast!!! Can you believe? His particular concern was that we'd have nothing left for a Busy Person who is coming across Tokyo (1 1/2 hr commute) to help us on the 11th of June. Apparently, kids books were on his internal list of things-which-could-be-delegated-out. You can see why I am trying to stay out of this as much as possible - I simply don't know what his game plan is and it is stressful to try to find out!

2 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

Oh how funny, I just had to comment as Brenton (now 12) went throught the same thing when he was about 8. He had gotten stung by several bees one day and was so fearful going outside for months, especially the park or yards. It WAS hard to deal with. I can't remember all we did...prayed with him and assured him. The other day he got stung and it didn't phase him a bit. So, he just finally out grew it...thankfully.

Wendy said...

He's never been stung by a bee, but is very worried about that none-the-less. I've been approaching the not-going-outside thing this week by pointing out that he gets restless when he doesn't and we need to get 'the wriggles out'. He seems to understand that, and will play on the road, which 'seems' less prone to 'bees'. LOL I'm sure it'll pass, but in the meantime...