10 August, 2009

Masks, Musicals and Manilla

I had some reverse culture shock this morning while shopping. The lady in front of me had a mask on. A common sight in Japan. Not common here. In fact someone told me that they daren't wear a mask because you get shunned like you have the plague. I didn't say a thing to the lady in front of me, but obviously she was feeling pretty self conscious. She volunteered, "Don't worry, I don't have IT." ('IT' being Swine Flu.) She continued, "I've been sick for so long that I'm just trying to avoid picking up any more bugs." I wonder if Swine Flu has been more rampant here just because of the anti-mask culture. On a lighter note. I've just bought my husband's birthday/our anniversary present. Tickets to Les Miserables (how to I put that proper bit over the 'e', I wonder?). I'm happy. I've seen it once before, but he hasn't. It is a marvellous production and I'm so pleased with myself for having figured out a way to celebrate his birthday. I'm leaving for Manilla on his birthday for a week - leaving him in the middle of school holidays with the boys. Pretty bad timing, but not much I could do about it! Why am I going to Manilla? Tune in next time...suffice to say, it is a bit of a career change.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To put the "proper bit" (known as an acute symbol) over the e, you either (depending on your keyboard):

Put on NumLock, and press and hold down Alt while typing 0 + 2 3 3. (Using the + symbol and numbers from the number section found under the NumLock key.)

or...

Go into MS Word 2007 and press (without holding down) Alt I S. Then go to Latin-1 Supplement and find the letter you want.

[/off geeky knowledge of how to write French]

Anonymous said...

Or you could just look it up online and copy and paste. :)

Hippomanic Jen said...

Sorry I haven't been around lately. Just done a big catch-up, I hope that your trip to Manilla went well.

Ken Rolph said...

You sure picked a good time to not be in Asia. I hope the weather has started to behave itself if you are going back.

Wendy said...

Nope, Jen. Haven't been to Manilla yet. End of September.
Ken, I heard of a typhoon and an earthquake, what have you heard about in Asia?

Ken Rolph said...

"Ken, I heard of a typhoon and an earthquake"

Isn't that enough? You want more?

Wendy said...

Oh, a typhoon and an earthquake, no problem! Hardly any damage to any buildings, no one killed; it was minor.