29 May, 2010

To befriend or not

We have an early start tomorrow, so I'm not planning to write much tonight.

However we've been reflecting on the weird trend that seems to be emerging of making connections with people this late in our year at home. We've finally connected with two of our neighbours in the last couple of weeks and our eldest (who was so stressed about making friends last year) has finally emerged with a 'best friend' at school.

I actually stand around at school and think, There's no point in making new friends, we're out of here soon. Add to that the distress that some people seem to be feeling at our going again "so soon" and I'd rather avoid any more pain than I have to inflict on myself and others. In this case, a small number of friends is better! Difficult for an extrovert to admit, but true. I wonder what other people will come into our lives 'accidentally' at this late stage?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Don't hold back. Caitlyn's best friend last year was Canadian. By the time we made friends with her parents it was only months to go until they left.
I'm still glad we got to know each other even though it was sad when they left.
Also you never know what opportunity to encourage someone in their Christian walk or even share Christ with a non-believer may still be out there for you this HS.

Wendy said...

I don't know Melissa. I'm tired. My emotional bank is pretty overstretched with all the new people we've had to meet all year and all the goodbyes that are beginning to happen. I think it is a natural thing to be pulling back emotionally. Of course I need to be open to opportunities to encourage someone or to talk of the hope I have, but I don't think I have it in me right now to be active in the new friend making department. It is a season - the autumn of this HA.

Melissa said...

I hope I wasn't discouraging. I do understand you not wanting to actively seek to develop new friendship at this stage.

Wendy said...

No, I don't think you were encouraging Melissa. Challenging, maybe. But then we all need challenge, especially when we are under stress when it is so easy to lose perspective. Thanks for your caring concern!

Wendy said...

Whoops, I meant "I don't think you were discouraging".