20 May, 2010

I hate new shoes

This is counter-cultural, I know. But I seriously dislike buying and wearing new shoes.

I have one winter and one summer pair that I wear the majority of the time. This week, as the seasons change over, I've had to replace both those. A good time to buy summer shoes - they were on special. The winter ones were half price. But I'm not really happy with either. They are too new and I notice them too much. Not badly enough to take them back, but enough to want to go back to my old, falling-apart shoes.

Japan has, by necessity, made me lazy. Slip-on shoes are a necessity to slide smoothly in and out of houses. This is easy in summer - sandals are great. Winter is harder. I prefer good walking shoes for casual wear, usually a variety of sneaker (joggers - what to non-Aussies call them?). This is a challenge in Japan because sneakers don't just pull on and off. The one's that just gave up on me were Japanese bought and had elastic built into the design - just beside the laces and were easy to get on and off. Many Japanese just buy ordinary sneakers and leave them loosely laced, indeed my own husband does. But I cannot stand shoes which flop around on my foot. So, I've bought Australian sneakers that need lacing up. Their only plus is that they have green trimming, my favourite colour. Oh, they've also got the name of a famous Australian athlete written on them - one that I can say I've run against.

But I'm wondering if maybe I can find some elastic laces...

2 comments:

taylorcrowson said...

We call them tennis shoes or sneakers.

I would personally like to live in a climate where flip-flops were always in season. Don't remind me what Aussies call those. ;) haha

Mrs Q said...

My English rellies would probably call them "pumps" but I call them sandshoes. I remember when Anika did dancing that the dance shops sold elastic laces for jazz shoes which helped the dancers who needed to change tap/jazz/ballet shoes inbetween dances at concerts. So maybe a dance shoe supply shop would have them? My English rellies call them flip-flops too but I don't know anyone in Australia that does.