14 February, 2013

Compulsory Valentines Day

I remember being shocked two years ago when we received a notice from our boys' school that exchanging Valentine Cards was compulsory, for the lower grades anyway!

After two years of this I was not so surprised to receive that email this time, but I did manage to find some cool cards that were easy to print out. My youngest son's love language is gifts, so he absolutely adored filling these out and taping lollies to the backs to give to friends.

I got these from: http://www.livinglocurto.com/downloads/valentines-day-free-downloads/




Now the two younger boys are home early, calculating how much "treasure" they have.

What I'm sadder about, though, is the rumour I've heard that Valentine's Day has turned bad in the Philippines. I'm not sure of the details, but this article at least says that some groups distribute condoms around Valentines' day near flower shops and motels.

In Japan it is the day that women give chocolate (and other presents) to men in their lives, including bosses and colleagues. Men get their chance a month later on White Day.

I have to say, though, that we haven't been very good at this tradition in any forms (except for the compulsory party and gift giving). I haven't got any chocolate to give David. We're still gradually eating our way through Christmas chocolate, our waists don't need any more!

No comments: