17 March, 2014

Tired, yet buoyant

We had a really good weekend. Thanks for those of you who are praying for us! The boys have been 95% great, I'm so thankful. The boys will be home any minute now, so we'll see what kind of evening we'll have! 

Last night we got to Skype with David. And that was great too, The boys got to tell him all their news. No chatting with Dad tonight, though. They're in tents tonight, in-between two days of working to build something for a nursery (childcare centre). The details were a little sketchy, but usually the kids end up laying concrete for a new building.

I'm just home from my first "sanity saving" coffee date. I'm a little bit tired today, so I'm especially glad for the coffee: an excuse to drink the real stuff. And glad for my friend, someone I can be totally honest with about parenting struggles!

But, as I wrote on Friday, the real reason I organised time with a friend for today (and for the next two days) was to ensure that I had quality adult conversation time, giving me something to look forward to, but also to keep me psychologically healthy while David is away. It's working so far.

The reason I'm tired is because I had trouble putting this book down last night. It is an unusually honest biography by the daughter of Bob Pierce, the founder of World Vision and Samaritan's Purse. It is unusual, too, in that it shows the struggles of his loved ones, the family he left behind while he travelled around the world helping other people. Somewhat refreshing for a biography of a person in ministry.

He was a man of extremes, and somewhat emotionally unstable, that had terrible consequences for his family. The main reason I couldn't put it down was I wondered how all this was going to end. Does the story have a good ending, or a bad one? I gave up at 11.30 and put it down before I finished. I'm waiting to tonight to find out the answer, but don't worry, I won't spoil it for you, just in case you decide to read it.

Ah, there's the first boy home. I'd better go. See you tomorrow.

PS The other emotional challenge of the day was email on my computer quitting for most of the day. Thankfully two restarts has brought it back again and I'm feeling quite relieved!

No comments: