09 March, 2014

Another Fabulous Retreat

I'm still feeling really quite exhausted after the week past, but I expected that. Retreats for me aren't about catching up on sleep or rest. They are about filling up. 

Filling up on friendship. 
Filling up on worship.
Filling up God's word. 

And, in this case I also got to fill up on writing due to the writer's retreat just prior to the Women's Retreat. 

Teaching
The theme of the Women in Ministry retreat was "Called not Driven". Our speaker honed in
on that we have to figure out why God wants us to do, set goals, and be disciplined. It all sounded a bit like hard work, but the alternative is being driven by others expectations and dragged around by our own needs and emotions. 

I realised that I do already have goals, especially personal ones. These help me stay on track and be productive. I also realised that I'm pretty good at saying no. So, it was encouraging to realise these things.

Our speaker also encouraged us to nurture our psychological selves by allowing ourselves "luxuries". Even something like setting the table beautifully or listening to classical music or dressing nicely. These are things we can neglect in our earnest desire to serve others. 

Worship
I enjoyed the worship time. I always do. Singing in English is such a luxury and a joy. 

One new song we learned has stuck in my head.


"I Am"
(performed by Crowder)



[Verse 1:]
There’s no space that His love can’t reach
There’s no place that we can’t find peace
There’s no end to Amazing Grace
Take me in with your arms spread wide
Take me in like an orphan child
Never let go, never leave my side.

[Chorus: (2X)]
I am,
Holding on to You.
I am,
Holding on to You.
In the middle of the storm,
I am Holding on,
I am!

[Verse 2:]
Love like this, Oh my God to find!
I am overwhelmed what a joy divine!
Love like this sets our hearts on fire!

[Chorus: (2X)]

[Verse 3:]
This is my Resurrection Song
This is my Hallelujah Come
This is why to You I run
This is my Resurrection Song
This is my Hallelujah Come
This is why to You I run
There’s no space that His love can’t reach
There’s no place that we can’t find peace
There’s no end to Amazing Grace

[Chorus: (2X)]

The chorus, particularly is stuck in my head. Listen to the whole song here.

The chorus could be misunderstood theologically, but it holds two meanings: of us clinging to God, but so much more that God is holding onto us.

Yep, in the front row again!
Friendships
But again, one of the highlights for me was friendship. Being with other women. Drenching myself, in fact, in friendship. 

We had a seminar on the emotional needs of missionary women. The speaker had done a survey and according to that, by far the largest emotional need of missionary women (and women in general) is friendships. 

So I'm pretty normal when I need my women friends to remain mentally healthy and find that that is one of the wonderful benefits to going to a retreat over a number of years. You develop friendships that deepen over time and nurture my soul. As the only girl in my house I have to go out intentionally to meet my need for women friends. I certainly feel like my cup is full right now, even if I'm exhausted.

Soaking in friendship
It's taken me a long time to grow to appreciate Japanese public bathing. But I find that now I can relax and enjoy taking a bath with my friends at a retreat like this. Sounds strange to Australian ears, I'm sure. But instead of hanging out over supper tables I hung out in the bath after the evening session was over. So many good conversations I that had trouble getting out of the bath. Most times my "bath" took over an hour.

Next year I'll miss this. Being in Australia, I'll be indulging in other friendships, but I'm sad I'll miss this special retreat. Hanging out with missionary friends who know what it is like to live in Japan, even if they don't know my home country, is a special experience. Shared experiences are catalysts for strong relationships.

I'm thankful, though, for the abundance of friendships that God's given me — both sides of the ocean. Any of my friends who're reading this, count yourselves thanked!


1 comment:

Georgia said...

My last WIM conference was a real milestone for me. I certainly miss that kind of experience and find myself needing to find some more friends again at home. Glad you found it a ful-filling experience!