10 December, 2010

A new friend and a new jacket

Yesterday I had coffee with a new friend. We met to discuss business, but to tell the truth, the business didn't take all that long! We just enjoyed one another's company for a couple of hours. The missionary life is full of movement - both our own and others. That can be very painful. But it also has its delights. If I hadn't moved back to Tokyo, I would have missed this new friendship.

One of the first things she said to me was, "You're wearing my jacket!"

I was wearing my "new" winter jacket that I bought at CAJ's thrift shop a couple of months back. She'd sold it there because the colour was all wrong for someone who has a little child that she still lifts onto a bike. But it suits me just fine, my boys don't get lifted any more. And it is a very nice jacket, brand - Land's End - good quality too.

And it is finally cool enough to wear it. Up until now I've been enjoying my other new jacket - the red trenchcoat I bought back at the beginning of an Australian winter. 

Another aspect of missionary life that I've mentioned before here - the sharing around of resources. Finally missionaries are doing the popular thing - recycling has become the "right" thing to do for the environment. Of course we've been doing it long before it became popular!

So, just to add some balance to those who think that missionary lifestyle is all about sacrifice, giving up dreams and saying goodbyes. There are many positive things to this lifestyle - not the least being the wonderful friends that you make from all over the world.

No comments: