16 December, 2010

An Aussie flavoured Christmas party

Aussie thongs
Today, somehow, I ended up being the front-woman for most of the Grade 2 Christmas party. I think that is partly because I'm one of the few mothers in the class who is a native English speaker. So it turned into something of an Australian Christmas.

I taught the Grade 2s Aussie Jingle Bells, which was a lot of fun. Somehow they never really got the chorus, the traditional version was just too strong in their minds.

By the way there is no rude word in it. If you think there is, then you are misunderstanding that Australians call rubber things you wear on your feet thongs.

I also read Wombat Divine by Mem Fox. You can read about the book here. It introduced the children to words and animals like nativity, audition, beam, bilby and numbat. And, of course, a wombat. I asked them what they thought a wombat was. The first two answers were, "A type of bat." and "A type of bear." Smile!

It was a fun time, but I sure am glad I don't have to teach a class of eight year olds every day. That would be bad for my blood pressure, I'm sure.

No comments: