25 February, 2010

A success in the pursuit of heart health

I marked up a success last night. I followed this site's advice on a Low Fat White Sauce. By the way, the site has a tremendous amount of free recipes. I'll be back there! Here's the recipe: Ingredients 1 cup low fat milk (250ml) 2 teaspoon cornflour black pepper Optional 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese Method * Prepare white sauce by mixing together milk, cornflour, black pepper and parmesan cheese (if using) in a saucepan. * Cook slowly while stirring until thick and smooth. I found I needed more cornflour than this. I also tripled the recipe and added to it tuna, boiled eggs and a little low fat cheese and served it over brown rice for a very tasty low fat Tuna Mornay. We declared it a success (even our visitor, Anika - who often comments on this blog). And plan to use it in the future too.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Wendy, to reduce the refined sugar in your cakes, biscuits, muffins and desserts, try substiuting with fruit purees and juices. It's really nice. I don't buy cakes and biscuits, I bake them. I figure it's worth the sacrifice - sometimes food is too important.

Wendy said...

Okay Helen, so here's my question. Do you just modify recipes by substituting those things. And if so, what sort of quantities? If not, can you share some recipes you've found?