06 February, 2010

Car button missing

I'm missing a little button in the car. Why, seven months after leaving Japan I am suddenly missing something from there, I don't know. It was a button I used every day, too! The button in question is the "close the side mirror" button. Yes, Japanese cars have buttons you press to fold the mirrors in (see the car in the picture). The roads and car parks are so narrow that it is safer for you (and others) to do this. I've knocked a hip or two on mirrors that weren't folded. I wondered why so many small (read one or two child) families had vans in Tokyo. After owning a van here in Australia I am beginning to suspect that one reasons is because of how narrow the car parks are - with a van, kids can open the door without risking anyone else's car! We ended up buying special rubber things to go on the door so that WHEN it hit other cars, it didn't dint them. Nevermind, I'm sure that I can get another button when we return :-)

3 comments:

Helen said...

Can you send us some little rubber things when you go back - they sound great!

Janet said...

Every car should be fitted with the little rubber things - compulsory!!!! People (and not just children) are so careless with their car doors ...

Wendy said...

Sure Helen. Actually they are not so little, they stick to the inside of the door and overlap to the outside. Poor explanation, I know. They are long and thin...be glad. I could start an import business - those and Japanese pegs and origami paper...