06 June, 2012

Not taking offence, rather grow

Yesterday I saw a great post about dealing with criticism of your writing. Actually, part of it is applicable to dealing with criticism about anything you do (as opposed to criticism about who you are).

Part of my job is criticising people's writing. That comes with considerable risk to me as the editor, particularly when I have little or no relationship with that person. It is very easy for them to take offence at my criticisms. So I'm usually fairly gentle in my approach, and never say things like, "This is rubbish."

This little post helps to debunk the mistaken belief that if something you do if criticised, then the critic is actually saying that you are no good as a person.

I might even save this article for future reference. Actually it would be a good thing to have a future Writer's Workshops that I'll do . . .

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Wendy,

the link just takes you back to your blog.

It sounds interesting, though, and something that I have to keep on telling myself.

Wendy said...

Okay, link is fixed. Thanks for the heads up Caroline.

KarenKTeachCamb said...

Yep, the link works now. I think these points are good to consider in life, not just in writing. I especially liked the third point best: Consider the message not the messenger! I've definitely been guilty of this in various stages of life. I've been ready to accept criticism from people who I felt had earned the right to give it, and who I felt gave it with love, but struggled with it from other sources. If I drop the "messenger" out of the picture and just consider the points being raised then I may just learn and grow to the person God wants me to be a little faster! Thanks for sharing this Wendy.

Sarah said...

That's a good article. Thanks for sharing it.

I think with the writing, it's the same as with anything...speak the truth in love. If it's done lovingly, then it doesn't matter who it's from because you know they're doing it with your best interests at heart. Unfortunately there are people who love to tear writers (or anyone) down because they get they have issues themselves and get their jollies out of criticising.