21 April, 2009

Makeup?

I've picked up the book, "Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them" by John Ortberg. There are many good things in the book, including a call to authenticity amongst community, which is something that I find sadly lacking in the Australian church. But when I read the following, I wondered if, actually, we weren't as bad with authenticity as some other cultures: "One of the defining moments in any dating relationship is the first time the man sees the woman without makeup...You don't want to let a guy look at your actual, unadorned face." p76 My husband-to-be rarely saw me WITH makeup! I guess that should make me feel good about my actual, unadorned face. I personally would say that one of the defining moments in a dating relationship is when one becomes sick. Actually my husband and I went on a short-term mission trip to Indonesia a long time before we dated, so we both saw the other in less-than-perfect circumstances for several weeks. Certainly with unadorned faces. But once we were dating, I went to visit him while he was leading a beach mission and, during the night, came down with food poisoning. It wasn't anything either of us had cooked (although that happened during our dating time too). It was a situation, though, that put me on my back for a while and certainly didn't give my later-to-be-husband any illusions about what I looked like without my "presentable mask" on.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

I don't think it is the Australian church's specialty. We have it over here in North America, too. I've seen it in Europe, and yes, even out on the mission field. I find myself at times longing for realness, but it is frightening to some people, even to me at times.

I've got three boys, too. And one daughter.

Wendy said...

Yes, being real is scary. It is also thrilling. I don't know of anything else that opens other people up faster than being open yourself. People are attracted to openness.

Ellie - three boys and a girl! People ask me if I'm going to try for a girl, but my reply is the risk of four boys is just too much! All the best!