10 November, 2011

Train travel in Japan is different

Manners on trains are different in Japan to Australia. Here's one example:

Here's an example I mentioned some time back where this "rule" wasn't observed and thereby inconveniencing thousands of people. However in this case I wonder if it was "ruder" to start a fight than to talk on the phone!

In fact in trains there is very little talking. Most people sleep, read, listen to music, or play/work on their mobile phones or DSes.

Nor are feet allowed on seats. I sat in a train for hours yesterday with a seat directly facing me. Most of the time someone was sitting there (knee-to-knee, thankfully I don't have long legs, the seats were very close), but when they weren't the temptation to put my feet up was quite strong.

You are not supposed to drink or consume food either, but that rule is gradually relaxing, especially with children.

I've never seen a rule about rowdy kids, but I'm sure that if a mobile phone conversation is bad, then rowdy kids are probably growled about once the travellers get home. One reason why we've not taken our kids on trains very much. Here's a glimpse of a train journey we took 2 1/2 years ago.

Thankfully our boys have grown up a little since then. Actually quite a lot. However train journeys can still be painful. But then car journeys can be painful too, however you don't have to deal with public perception in a car journey!

2 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

I love the little Rice Strainer. Looks interesting. Where did you buy yours? I'd like to pick one up and give it a go.
Susan

Wendy said...

Hi Susan. I got it at Tokai, you know the craft store. There is one in our area, I don't know where else. I did go looking today at Daiso, but they don't have any that I could see.