09 September, 2010

Lots of stuff happening

I ran into a missionary colleague at the 100 yen store today. I admitted to her that I was still feeling rather disorientated. No wonder, when you consider what I've been adjusting to. Here's a list:
  • Having all the boys at school 8.30-3.30. More than an hour longer than they were in school in Australia.
  • They play after school, usually until 4pm, so we don't get home until 4.05 (yes, we live that close). I'm used to a longer time between school being over and the dinner-bed-time routine starting. Struggling to adjust my inner time clock.
  • My 11 y.o. isn't getting home until after 5.30 three days a week due to cross-country training.
  • I've been communicating with school leadership about the details of my volunteering my Occupational Therapy skills at school. I've been planning for this and working towards this for over a year now, and it is exciting. But it still takes some mental adjusting too.
  • I'm still processing stuff from last week. Shooting out of the country to Hong Kong, having a fabulous experience and shooting back doesn't come without some pay-back.
  • I have writing I did last week that I'm preparing for publication.
  • I'm adjusting to being a Mum of three boys at CAJ. It includes attending class prayer meetings during the day. I've done two this week and have another tomorrow.
  • My calendar is filling up with other things including some missionary colleagues coming here on Monday for lunch.
  • I've agreed to speak about "Good writing" in my Grade 2er's classroom next Thursday.
  • Back at the gym yesterday and again tomorrow.
  • Shopping the Japanese way (often) hasn't lent itself to settling into a weekly routine yet.
  • My nearly 7 y.o. wondered out-loud if I'd get around to organising his birthday next Saturday. I was getting to that. Today went shopping. Took the car out on a longer run and realised how much of a lead foot I've acquired since living in the land of great-distance-go-fast. Many of the main roads I drove on today were 30 km/h. Only one was I allowed to get up to the rip roaring speed of 50 km/h.
That is enough for now. I'm feeling stressed just looking at my own list!

2 comments:

Dave said...

Forgive me if you've written on it before, but those speed limits took me by surprise.

Wendy said...

Hi Venzy thanks for dropping by. I may have mentioned it before, but yes, speeds are slow. You don't notice it too much because there are so many things to avoid while driving and the roads are too skinny. Only when you get a bit of a run-up between lights and cyclists. And when the road is wide enough not to have to avoid light and power poles.

I've told you a lot about Japan, but you might still be shocked if you came to visit us, because some things we've just become used to and don't mention them any more!