16 September, 2010

Another unexpected

I didn't expect to be teaching at CAJ when I came back to Tokyo. Well, actually I'm not and have no ambition to be a classroom teacher, but I did dip my toe in this afternoon.

When my middle son's teacher found out I was going to a Writer's Workshop, she asked if I might consider talking to the grade two students about what Good Writers do.

So today I spent 1 1/2 hours with them talking and working with them about "Interesting Words". I had a lot of fun. They were a really keen bunch. We didn't quite get finished what I had planned to do, but I hope I left them with a desire to write using more interesting words than words like "went" or "did".

My passion for talking about good writing shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

Now I just need to get to work editing the work I did in Hong Kong and getting it submitted to editors for publication. I never understood people who wrote books and just left them in a drawer. Where's the fun in that? Seeing your work in print is an even bigger thrill. But more than the thrill is the sense that being able to write is a gift from God that shouldn't be hidden in a drawer, it should be used to bless others.

I'm glad I was able to use one of my small gifts to bless others today.

3 comments:

-J said...

I love hearing how God is giving you opportunities to use all the various parts of your background and interests and passions in so many varied ways in this season of your life. Your blog is always encouraging!

Karen said...

Good stuff Wendy, sounds like you had a great time. I totally agree about seeing stuff you've written in print, not that the lonely only journal article I've had published is that much to get excited about. I still feel some guilt that I didn't publish any of my research findings...
I agree with the previous comment too, lots of encouraging stuff to take from your blog. Feeling a bit flat about mine right now but I hope that will pass.

Wendy said...

Thanks for your encouragement. Sometimes I wonder if I write too much. Too much guff that others aren't really interested in!