25 September, 2010

Surprise ending to the crazy week.

My somewhat crazy week came to a mellow end last night. A friend with three children of her own reads my blog and offered to host a movie night for all six children so that we could go out last night. My kids didn't care what we were doing, they had their own fun planned. We dropped them off and headed off to a local restaurant. The food was nothing spectacular, but the atmosphere was calm and the waitresses were undemanding. We ate and then sat and chatted unhurriedly for quite some time...So the crazy week doesn't come to the dramatic end of a movie, but a romantic one, I suppose.

The boys were therefore late in bed last night. This morning, however, David and our 11 y.o. leapt into the car at 6.30 a.m. for an early start to get to his cross-country meet. After they left I woke, visited the little ladies room and jumped back under the covers. Three hours later the doorbell rang. Reading 9.30 on the clock didn't make much sense at first. I couldn't believe that my 5 and 8 y.o.s had either slept-in or refrained from fighting or otherwise disturbing my sleep.

As of this evening we are still unsure of what happened this morning. I'm guessing that they probably slept-in a bit, given that they hadn't started fighting yet - something that usually happens if they are not fed in a timely manner after waking. It is a very rare thing indeed to sleep in in our family unless someone else volunteers to look after and feed children (usually my husband on a Saturday morning).

Thankfully the doorbell didn't require answering. The road worker simply left the pre-prepared road-closure notice in my letter box. Good thing. I don't think he would have coped with my frog decorated flannelette PJs!

The other odd thing about this week has been the weather. I did mention that a couple of days ago. But it is noteworthy enough to mention it again. We basically had blistering summer heat until sometime Wednesday night. Thursday the heavens opened and temperature dropped 20 degrees to a winter-like temperature (at least where we come from in Queensland, Australia). Yesterday's temperature was about the same as Thursday. Today it started cold and windy but when the sun came out just before midday the day was much more appropriately dressed as autumn. Somehow it seems to have found an appropriate September equilibrium between the two extremes. We were wondering for a bit.

This week translated into an intense, frustrating wedding anniversary cum student-free day on Monday, massive shopping trip to Costco on Tuesday, exhausted collapse on Wednesday, busy-as-a-bee time at Back-to-school day on Thursday and welcome descent into a writing bubble on Friday topped off by a mellow date with my beloved on Friday. I'm wondering what next week will hold, but I'm not holding my breath!

No comments: