28 September, 2010

All-you-can-eat pizza: unless you are taking a little rest

Friday night I went out with my husband for dinner.  Some things are private, so I'm not going to tell you much, but I must tell you a couple of things about the restaurant. It had this deal going where you could buy a set and that included all-you-could-eat pizza. But not quite like the usual restaurant of this type. The waitresses periodically brought around pizza for you to choose from, so you needn't leave your seat. However, in the land where you try not to inconvenience anyone and people don't like to use the word "no", they had special signs. Can you figure out what they might say?

The blue one says (roughly) "We're still eating." and the red one says (roughly), "We're just taking a little rest." Both use very polite language. The idea was something like the "Do not disturb" signs you find in motel rooms.
Very cute!

A spade?
See the cereal?
The other very Japanese thing we encountered was less upsetting than the first time we encountered it in language school. We order mini parfaits for dessert. Something I've rarely done since that first encounter with the Japanese version of this delicacy. Somehow cereal has crept into the Japanese recipe. I don't think I've seen a parfait without some kind of flakes in the bottom, most commonly cornflakes. In my opinion it just wrecks the sweet dessert! This time I ate the sweet top and left the rest in the bottom.

We were also interested to see the spade-like cutlery we were given to use, so I pulled out my phone and took another photo.

1 comment:

Tim and Susan said...

Those deserts always look so good, but don't taste that good.