14 September, 2010

Bewildering the locals

Today I felt like a writer. Actually all I was doing was critiquing other people's work (from my internet-based critique group), but it was the where I did it that was fun. One of my critique group lives in America but visits Japan periodically to see her Japanese in-laws and her son and his family who also live here. Today we were able to meet to have coffee.

It worked out that I had some extra time between dropping the boys off at school and meeting her so I took along my laptop to do some critiquing work. I worked in the school library for a bit then went off to catch the train. As it happens I caught an early one (still haven't gotten used to how close we are to the train here) and I had some spare time to wait at the other end. Some thoughtful town planner had put some lovely trees and a park bench close to the coffee shop, so I parked myself there and pulled out my computer for a bit more work.

It felt good, using my time productively. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw an elderly gentleman who helps with bike parking at the large store across the road from the coffee shop. He stood only a couple of metres from me in his fluorescent work vest just looking. It is unusual for Japanese to stare. They do look at us weird foreigners, but not too obviously. This guy was totally intrigued. I can only imagine his thoughts as he craned his neck to catch a glimpse of my screen.
Oh look, there's a foreigner. What's she doing? She doesn't look like a business woman in her t-shirt, skirt and joggers. But why is she using a computer? What could she possibly be doing? Maybe if I get a little closer I can find out...
 It was fun to be mysterious. I am something of a non-conformist. I think that was the part of me that secretly rejoiced at causing this man such bewilderment.

1 comment:

Shirley Corder said...

Shame! Poor curious old man. Now he'll never know . . . But it sounds such fun. :-)