08 September, 2010

Even gyms are different

So, I went off to the gym today. After more than two months I really felt it. I'm sure they've made everything harder since I was there last!

Even though I am going to the same chain of gyms as in Australia, there is a distinctive flavour that goes with each country. A year ago I went through the reverse.

Today I had to change my shoes at the door. Good thing too, as they were totally soaked. Yes, it is finally raining and I think I rode through the heaviest rain we've had all day. Oh, and there's another - no car park. Feels like the right thing, somehow - to ride to the gym and then have a flight of stairs to climb.

As I did my stretches at the end I noticed a poster explaining that not sleeveless shirts or short shorts were to be worn in the gym. What are they worried about? Sweat or something? Good thing my shorts were knee-length and my shoulders were safely covered. Some of the things people wear to the gym in Australia would have the Japanese sweating!

They take care of you more. In a way that Australians would find claustrophobic. A trainer was 'on the floor' with the exercisers at all times, not just chatting, but giving instructions to machines that I have been using for the last three years. When I was the last one left on circuit before they closed, the trainer jumped on the circuit with me, so that I wouldn't be alone.

Ah, opening hours are different too. Here this chain opens from 10-1 and 3-7. In Australia the gym opened earlier and later with a bigger gap in the middle. Something like 5.30-10 and 2.30-8. I'd love to exercise earlier here, straight after I dropped the boys at school would be ideal. Oh well.

Anyway, it is good to be back. Even though I haven't lost or gained weight, that two months has seen my strength and endurance decrease. I'm keen to get back on my game. Feeling fine now, I might be a little sorer tomorrow.

No comments: