14 April, 2010

Country adventures

After we left our tenting adventure we drove six hours north to visit my mother-in-law. We're very grateful for a roof that didn't leak and a nice bathroom. The bed was a challenge, though. One of those sofa beds that are only good until the second person gets in and then you end up together in a pile in the middle!

After two nights there we drove west to the rest of my husband's family. It was quite complicated. My parents-in-law are divorced. My 79 year-old father-in-law had a hip replacement five weeks ago and suffered a slow recovery. When we arrived last week he'd only been out of hospital for a couple of days and was staying with my sister-in-law, her husband and son in their small house on the property they're working on.

Their house was full, so we drove another 15 minutes down the dirt road to the house where my father-in-law has been living for the last six months or so. On another family-owned property. The old house has been vacant for five weeks. Except for the frogs and other various insects who managed to find their way into the house. Plus a whole lot of dust. No vacuum cleaner. This is a bachelor's house.

But the roof doesn't leak and has electricity! A step up from camping. Didn't mean I like cleaning up the frog poo all through the house, though.

The next day all my in-laws descended on the house for a BBQ lunch. Thankfully they brought almost all the food. We provided the venue. This was my father-in-law's home coming. Even if only for two nights. We 'looked' after him over the weekend - but really it was more about prodding him into more independence (right up my OT alley).

On Sunday we left dad on his own and trundled 30 minutes into town for church. A minister-less church with only 12 adults attending (apart from us). A church that still, despite their own struggles, prays for and supports missionaries. A challenge to those larger churches who don't spare a thought for mission.

Sunday afternoon we went over to my sister-in-law's place for a 4WDing trip out to a billabong on the property. The boys enjoyed the trip in the back of the ute and a chance to wallow in the mud. I enjoyed sitting with the only other girl in the party and my 10 month old nephew in the cab of the ute. We had a great chat. Just giving a little family support at this time of illness has broken down some of the barriers that exist. It is not easy for a city-based family such as ours who lives in another country most of the time to have a close relationship with land-based, non-Christian family. On the surface we have little in common. Just a little time, careful listening and understanding proves that is it otherwise just under the surface.

Monday and Tuesday proved to be hold even more adventure for our family, but this post is long enough. Hold your breath and come back for more next time...

As for now, we're about to complete the last 1 1/2 hrs of our journey and land at home-sweet-home. With no more overnight trips yet planned for the next couple of months, it will be sweet indeed!

1 comment:

Footprints Australia said...

Oooo I think you need to give me the name and address of that church so I can bless them with some copies of Footprints ...