03 October, 2009

Gastro and magazine editing, but not on the same day.

My stay in Manila is almost over. Outside the hotel, the wet, humid wind of a typhoon increases. Hopefully the strong winds will stay away from the airport and allow our plane to take off at 7.45 (9.45pm Brisbane time). My stay has not been without incident. I spent Thursday in bed with gastro. Thankfully one of the conference staff members had medication she gave me to cut short the symptoms. Being sick in a foreign hotel is uncomfortable. None of the comfort food you desire is available. Thankfully, though, I didn't have to look after my family at the same time. It was very peaceful and I read a thick novel in bed all day - what a luxury! We don't know if it was food poisoning or a bug. The night before my dinner was a bagel from Starbucks across the road, hardly risky, one would think! My travelling companion and room mate is down with stomach cramps and diarrhoea today too. Lovely couple we make! Internet access has been patchy, thus I've not been able to be in contact with my family (or write on this blog) as much as I wanted. This is not Japan! However it has been an interesting week and one I don't regret. Editing a magazine is something I've had a vague interest in for a long time and it seems that God has led me in that direction in recent years. Now it looks like I have an opportunity to contribute to Japan Harvest, a magazine for the members of Japan Evangelical Missionary Association. We'll see what eventuates. I have heaps to learn and pray that the gifts of communication that God has given me will be of benefit to other missionaries in Japan.

No comments: