17 April, 2019

Looking after the customers

A notable characteristic in Japan is looking after the customers. We've seen a great improvement in this in Australia over the years, but I think it's mostly done there out of fear of being abused by the customer (or sued). But Japan goes way beyond Australia's version of customer service, it seems to be embedded in their culture, not a product of fear.

Last week I rode to a newly opened grocery store in our neighbourhood. I was amused to find three "guard men" in the car park looking after customers.

In the photo, you can see half of the car park and about an eighth of the bike park. It is not large! But three men were helping people park their cars and bikes. The bike park was pretty full when I arrived and one of them directed me to an empty slot.

I bought a full-load of stuff, and it took a while to load it all into my baskets, so I got to hear them interacting with customers. The man closest to me in the photo was thanking people as they left to store as well as helping with bikes. The two at the entrance were greeting people. I got an extra blessing of "Be careful" as I rode out with my well-loaded bike!

I shared this experience with a couple of Japanese friends the next day. One of them later shared a video with me that includes a hilarious section about these "guards" that I include here for your enjoyment (it's a 17-minute video, the "guard" part is 30 sec at the 4-minute mark).

Though it may seem a bit over the top, you really do feel looked after and I have to admit that there are times I miss that in Australia. A classic time was trying to find my way through complex roadwork on my bike in Brisbane a few years ago. There were no signs, no people to direct or even to ask. I had a moment of homesickness for Japan right there.

No comments: