09 April, 2019

A birthday post

It's nearly a week since my birthday and I wanted to recount the blessings of that once-a-year day to you. I've learnt not to have too high expectations, but also to plan something fun for myself.
This time I got some surprises: two invitations from friends. One from a friend I've invited out for coffee before on my birthday (yep, don't be shy!). She blessed me with a great conversation, a cute card signed by her kids, and some lovely "Pillow perfume"!
Another friend invited me out to lunch on Friday. I recounted this on Facebook at the time:

A friend said, “I’ll buy you lunch for your birthday.”
“Where?” I asked. 
“Anywhere!” 
So I asked if we could go into the city to one of the spots people come from overseas to see in this Sakura season and she said, “Sure!”
So for the first time ever, I joined the crowds around the Imperial Palace in Sakura Season.



I'm always amazed at these elderly Japanese people
who are really into photography. And I mean "really"!
It's very common to see them along the river with their
"foot-long" lenses.

Tulips were a big discovery in our first spring in Japan.
We'd arrived during the snowy winter of Sapporo and
the splash of colour that tulips made was a wonderful delight.


On my actual birthday I also took a couple of hours to ride to my favourite park. It's a popular sakura viewing spot, but there are other flowers out too. The whole place was pulsing with energy: lots of kids, families, and various groups celebrating the visible start of spring in Tokyo. The tulips and following park photos are from that ride.

Groups like this are common. They're having a "hanami" or "flower viewing" party. Often it involves alcohol and snacks.


So many bikes!
I also got some cool presents including a potted rose from my hubby. He reasons that even though it might die in my care, it will last longer than cut flowers do.

I received two necklaces. One from my parents and one from my 13 y.o. The latter is extra special because it is a rock he found while we were camping the week before. He got David to help order a chain and attached it himself with left-over wire he bought for another project. Wow!

I also spent an hour talking to mum and dad via video chat and another hour talking to a close friend the next day. We "dragged" the boys out to dinner at a family-friendly Italian restaurant in the evening and had a reasonable family time too.

I'm thankful for one more year of life. Each year brings surprises and challenges. Possibly my last year had a few more than most in the last few years. But I continue to be grateful to my rock and foundation, the Lord Jesus Christ, who holds me steady through all the changes and surprises each year brings.

1 comment:

go to this website said...

Nice pictures.Thanks for the post.