22 April, 2019

Big stuff going on in Japan that you might not know about

I have been shocked a couple of times recently when I've realised that friends outside of Japan aren't aware of some of the big things happening in Japan this year. I guess I've gotten so immersed in being here that I'm not sure what it's like for those who aren't? Here are a few things going on in Japan that you may or may not be aware of:

  • The emperor has abdicated and will step down from that role next Tuesday after 30 years of service. His eldest son will take up the role the next day. This is a big transition for this ceremonial role. It's the first abdication in over 200 years.
  • Japan has a rather unique system (as far as I'm aware) of naming the period of the reign of an emperor before or as the new emperor takes up that role. That name is then used in the calendar system. So, this year is not just 2019, it is also "Heisei 31." The new era name was announced on April 1 and will be Reiwa.
  • There is a one-off public holiday on May 1 to mark the occasion.
  • That day is in the middle of a number of holidays collectively dubbed "Golden Week". So, there are an unprecedented 10-days of holidays starting Saturday. No one really knows what to expect. People have been told to check things like the schedules of doctors. 
  • We've discovered that a 10-day holiday makes some Japanese people feel uncomfortable. They don't usually go away for lengthy holidays, it's not a part of the culture. There has been speculation as to why people are unhappy, but I'm not sure that our foreigners have a real understanding. This article cites a number of reasons why people might be unhappy. It concludes with this quote: 
Seishu Sato, a 31-year-old finance worker, told AFP: "To be honest, I don't know how to spend the time when we are suddenly given 10 days of holidays."
Another couple of things that you may or may not know is that Japan is also preparing to host some major sporting events in the next 16 months:

  • 2019 Rugby World Cup
  • 2020 Olympics and Paralympics
We've been seeing the impact of those two events on everyday life here. 

With pressure on restaurants to be non-smoking, one of the popular chains that we sometimes dine at has gone totally smoke-free. 

Not a great shot, but part of one platform
that has construction all over it, with the
accompanying stripes to warn of danger.
We're not near any venues, but as I've travelled about the city on trains, I've also seen a lot of construction on train stations. It seems they are especially working on accessibility. One station that I often use didn't have good wheelchair access at one entrance, I'm pleased to say that has now changed. That's also good news for anyone toting a heavy suitcase across town.

Our athletics season has also been impacted. Usually, many of the meets are at a Japanese venue near the bay, but this year, due to construction related to the Olympics, we've not been able to use that venue for most of the meets.

So there you go—a few "local" current events. Because of my work in publishing and social media, I've been quite immersed in thinking about these things. Researching, editing, and writing about these events means that they're very much in the forefront of my mind, hence my surprise when someone who's never been to Japan and doesn't have a big interest in the country doesn't know.



1 comment:

Caroline said...

I heard an item today about the Emperor's abdication on ABC news radio. It's the only time I've seen or heard anything about it, apart from on your blog!