01 May, 2012

Miracles

I have a friend*, Camilla, who had a harrowing experience last year, and it isn't over yet. After nearly dying when a virus attacked his heart, her husband is now waiting in hospital for a heart transplant. A witty introduction to his story is here on his blog. 


She reads this blog and a couple of weeks ago she wrote this comment on a post: 
Having recently had what we believe to be a miracle in our lives, I'd love to read your take on miracles. 
I believe that miracles happen. As you know, I'm a God-follower. I believe that God created everything. Everything including natural laws. I believe that he is all-powerful and able to suspend those natural laws whenever he wishes. 


In the Bible we see many miracles, from the parting of the Red Sea to Jesus healing people and rising from the dead. There are times recorded in the Bible that were flush with miracles and other times when they were rarely seen. 


I don't agree that miracles were only for back then, they are experienced here today too. We probably actually don't acknowledge miracles as much as we should. We attribute a lot to technology and science these days, but sometimes they obscure true miracles. 


Camilla, I believe that God was intimately involved in the miracle that you experienced.  I'm thrilled that God did this for you. I was praying for you and your family at the time that Paul was in a coma, praying for a miracle.


I read this quote recently that is quite helpful to me: 
Christianity . . . is perhaps the most materialistic of the word's faiths. Jesus's miracles were not so much violations of the natural order, but a restoration of the natural order. God did not create a world with blindness, leprosy, hunger, and death in it. Jesus's miracles were signs that someday all these corruptions of his creation would be abolished (p112 The Prodigal God, Timothy Keller).
So we look forward to the end of all this pain and suffering, and it will be an incredible miracle when God abolishes all the bad in this world. This is what it says in the second last chapter of the Bible about heaven:
I heard a loud voice shout from the throne:
God’s home is now with his people. He will live with them, and they will be his own. Yes, God will make his home among his people. He will wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever (Revelations 21:3-4, CEV).
Oh yes, I look forward to that day.


*I wrote about catching up with Camilla after 20 years in this blog post.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

The post script on this post is that after about six months of waiting for a new heart, Paul received one last night! Only hours after I posted this!

Camilla said...

Thanks Wendy. I enjoyed reading this post. It's uncanny that Paul received his heart so soon after you wrote this. He's doing really well.