17 November, 2010

Frustration with learning styles and intelligences

This morning I went to a mini-seminar about learning/personality styles. I am both fascinated by this topic and frustrated by it. On the one hand it is fun to think about yourself and how you learn, but on the other hand the topic is dealt with by putting people in boxes. And I don't like being put in a box.

Today we looked at several different systems by which people are put into boxes, so acknowledging that no one way covers all the angles, but it still frustrates me.

For example, we looked at the eight intelligences that Howard Gardner described. This is how it looks when I try to apply that to me:

Interpersonal (people) - I love people, am an extrovert and get down if I don't spend time with people often, but I get stressed if I have to work closely with people all the time.

Logical (numbers) - At home I'm often in trouble for applying logic to situations! I loved maths and did pretty well at science. I love lists and am probably pretty organised, but I have my limits in this area and would never consider a career in numbers, logic or pure science.

Linguistic (Words) - I love to read and write. I love to interact verbally and debate things. One of my hobbies, besides reading, is word puzzles like Scrabble. But I haven't learned a second language very well and my spelling and grammar aren't fantastic.

Intrapersonal (self)- I do like to work on my own and have a strong introvert shadow to my extroversion. I don't hesitate to interact with others, though, and most people wouldn't suspect my shyness. I also think a lot about life.

Visual-spatial (pictures) - I am not an artist, but I do have something of an eye for designing newsletters. I like taking photos, but are not interested in taking this up as a hobby.

Physical (body) - I was good at sport as a child and I still like to get out and get moving, though usually find too many other things to do. I like to do stuff with my hands, craft, cooking, typing, playing the piano.

Musical (music) - I learnt the piano and flute and enjoy listening to music. I am not a natural musician, though.

Naturalist (nature) - Well this is the easiest one to say is not me. I don't like gardening and don't prefer to be outside, though enjoy a nature walk as much as the next person.

So - what am I? A multiplicity of intelligence?  Or simply mixed up?

The same thing happens when you start talking about the three main channels of learning - verbal, auditory and kinaesthetic (body, movement). My primary mode is kinaesthetic, but I have a strong verbal side backing that up.

I've decided after years of thinking about this that to be a successful student you have to either have or develop multiple channels of learning. One is simply not enough. I'm also in awe of our Creator who has created such a complex thing as a brain and human beings that no one has been able to come close to understanding. These attempts at describing personalities are simply that, only an attempt to understand the amazing complexity with which we've been created.

Now I'm back to considering whether my sons are Tiggers or Rabbits, Poohs or Eeyores.

No comments: