02 November, 2010

Some great slow cooker recipes

I was asked for some favourite slow cooker recipes. I posted one here.

I like this one too, but unfortunately you cannot get (correct me if I'm wrong) corned silverside in Japan.

Corned beef

1 onion
1 carrot
1 stalk celery (optional)
1.5 kg peice corned silverside
1 teaspoon mixed spice
8 cloves
10 peppercorns
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar

Peel and chop the onion. Peel the carrot and cut into chunks. Slice the celery. Place the silverside, vegetables, mixed spice, cloves, peppercors, brown sugar and vinegar in the slow cooker. (I think I've left out the spices and it's been okay.)

Add enough water to come two-thirds up the silverside.

Place lid on cooker and cook for 4-5 hours on High or 8-9 hours on Low.

and I got this one from a friend.

Enchilada Casserole


15oz can of tomato sauce ( I used a can of diced tomatoes and threw in some tomato paste).

1/2 water (I didn't do this since I had the diced tomatoes, but I did use a little water to clean the last of the tomatoes out of the can)

2 tsp Tabasco sauce

5 tortillas (I used the Costco kind and split in half and layered the 5 tortillas, the split halves fit very nicely in the Japanese crock)

1 cup of grated cheese

1/2 onion, diced ( I used a whole onion)

1 lb. ground meat

Mix the tomato sauce, water, and Tabasco sauce. Pour half in the slow cooker. Layer a tortilla, 1/4 the cheese, meat and onion. Continue adding layers until all the meat, cheese, and onions have been used. Top with a tortilla. Cover the tortilla with the rest of the tomato mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

Try and enjoy!!

2 comments:

Footprints Australia said...

OOO the Enchilade casserole sounds good, made my mouth water. I take it ground beef is mince? And you could probably just serve it with salad?

Wendy said...

Yes, ground beef is mince in Aussie talk. I made this just two days ago and it was sooo scrumptious. Kind-of combination between lasagne and a beet pie. Salad or vegetables would be fine.