10 September, 2012

Mixed bag of a day

It's been a so so day. Two out of three boys have had some nasty patches. I've been in and out all day (five times) at various meetings and events. In the midst of all that my head has felt weird, like the start of a headache, though no major headache ever eventuated, but still hindering my thoughts.

My last two outings were related to trying to buy milk without any money in my purse . . . and that wasn't the end of the day. I still had to deal with a reluctant boy doing piano practise, a boy not being responsible about homework, and an email from a teacher a boy's bad behaviour. Argghhh.

In the midst of all this there was good stuff, however. For example, three boys raving about their homemade lunches!

One thing that made their lunch special today was some Double-choc muffins that I made yesterday afternoon. I've been avoiding baking due to the heat, but lunch boxes still need to be filled and our lunchbox filler (my husband) was making noises to the effect that I was letting the side down in regards to snacks. So I backed the muffins yesterday. And they were a hit. Our middle son, who usually doesn't lack for descriptive words when he's feeling eloquent, couldn't find sufficient words to describe how good the muffins were.

Sultana Slice
Last week I also tried out a microwave recipe. I don't normally use the microwave for baking, but I was getting desperate in the heat. This recipe is superb and very tasty.

Sultana Slice

175g butter
1/2 cup* sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1/2 cup sultanas
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

1. Put butter, sugar, golden syrup in a big bowl.
2. Cook it for about 2 minutes at about 350 watts.
3. Stir well.
4. Add sultanas and lemon rind. Stir well.
5. Add flour and baking powder. Mix well.
6. Spread evenly in a 20cm square casserole dish.
7. Cook for about 5 1/2 minutes at 350 watts. Cool.
8. Ice when cold. Then slice.

Lemon icing
1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

*Please note that Australian cups are 250ml and tablespoons are 20ml.

I also threw this coconut loaf together. Another recipe the boys rave about that is super easy (but does need an oven).

Anyways, it's off to bed for me. Thankfully tomorrow is a brand new day.

No comments: