14 December, 2011

Confused about me


Yeah, I can get a bit introspective. Bear with me for a moment. 

Recently I've had people probing my personality. Questions like that intrigue me.

In the last month I've had:
"You cannot be an oldest child"
Me, "Why?" 
"You aren't bossy."

Well, my sisters would correct that assumption. Presumably I keep that part of me for my editing because my magazine boss keeps saying (among other things),
"You're so direct." 

Interesting because as a young adult I was berated by supervisors for not being assertive. Perhaps I've matured? Perhaps my 12 1/2 years of parenting experience have changed me in this area. If I'm not direct and clear with minimal words, my boys don't respond.

On the editing front, I've had a few years experience now, with my work being critiqued by other writers in my critique group and also by editors to whom I've submitted. I'm getting used to separating myself from my work. Not to take critique so personally. And, so put me in an editorial position and I tend to assume others have learnt the same thing. Wrong assumption. 

It turns out that most writers I encounter here on the mission field have never had their work critiqued or tried submitting their work in the competitive "real world" Not sure exactly how to deal with that little dilemma. 

I'm still left with the question, "Who am I?" or more specifically, "What are my strengths?"
Am I organised? I don't feel so, but others keep telling me I am.
Am I a leader? Again, I don't feel so, but . . . 
Am I a manager? Um, the only real experience I have in this is managing my family.

Maybe those of you who know me can give me your perspective on the mystery that is Wendy.

No comments: