12 December, 2011

I'm dreaming of a more balanced school calendar

I'm feeling tired and more than ready to step off this constant roundabout of school for a time.


Over the weekend I realised that we're in the 16th week of school, without any decent break. We've had several long weekends, but nothing more than three and a half days (for teachers and hence, teacher's families). Where I come from people grumble when there is a school "term" longer than 12 weeks! I think I'm legitimately tired.


CAJ has a long summer break, longer than any Australian school. And then their school year is only broken by Christmas (2 1/2-3 week holiday) and Spring break (1 week holiday). That makes it a bit of a marathon. 


The first "term" is the longest. Then Christmas to Spring break is 10 weeks, with one four day long weekend. Spring break to the end of the school year is also 10 weeks, with two long weekends (3 or 3 1/2 days). And then about 10 1/2 weeks summer holiday!


This is the sixth year we've been at CAJ and we're getting used to it, but still, my Aussie soul longs for four short terms and regular decent breaks (10 days-two weeks)! But I do understand something of the reasoning behind leaving it as it is. A number of teachers and other CAJ families dash home during the long summer break and that is their only Home Assignment time.  We're planning to take advantage of that ourselves in 2012. But sometimes, just sometimes (especially at the end of this long first "term" and at the end of the long summer holidays), I just wish for a more balanced calendar.

No comments: