20 January, 2011

A taboo subject

This week we've received financial figures from our mission for 2010 that confirmed what we already thought. We don't presently receive enough support for my husband to stop working at CAJ. In other words, taking a year off to report back to supporters and churches in Australia isn't financially a good idea. Yet, we are required to do so by our mission. And indeed if we don't, then probably support from Australia will fall anyway. Caught between a rock and a hard place, you could say!

For me the next step from that confirmation was to start worrying. I disguised that pretty well by telling myself, "I'm planning, just scouting out the possibilities." But under it all it is just pure worry.

Last night when I went to put my youngest to bed, I pulled out his devotional book and read the next story. A story about worry. A simple tale about a country lad who was visiting his grandparents in the city with his parents - for the first time. They were travelling on a bus and as they drove along the boy kept worrying about whether the bus driver knew where to go. His parents kept reassuring him that it was the bus driver's problem and indeed that the driver did know the way.

The application, was, of course, that we don't need to worry. It is God's job to be concerned about our future, not ours. Funny - I think the child's devotion spoke more to me than it spoke to my son!

Then I look up and read the verse on the daily calendar above my desk. It reads,
"Fear thou not; for I am with thee:
be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee;
yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."
Isaiah 41:10 KJV
This morning I attended a monthly prayer meeting for the parents of the kindergartners at CAJ. One of the ladies spoke about Peter getting out of the boat in the middle of the storm to walk to Jesus. In that story, Peter is rebuked for his lack of faith. The lady pointed us back to the other eleven disciples who were still cowering in the boat. Yes, Peter failed at that point, but at least he was out of the boat. He had the experience of being rescued from the water. The others merely looked on. (Matthew 14:22-32)

So, what do you think God is saying to me about our financial concerns? 

Jesus' words, 
"Take courage. It is I. Do not be afraid." (Matt 14:27 NIV)

6 comments:

Sandy said...

"Peter failed but at least he was out of the boat." That is pretty powerful!
Keep getting out of that boat!

Barbara said...

The same He is saying to us about our financial concerns - don't worry :)

Karen said...

What the first two comments said! Praying for you guys. Are you with a particular missionary organisation?

Wendy said...

Karen, we're with OMF International.

renate said...

I always admired the courageous Peter stepping out leaving the security of the boat behind him until one day it dawned on me that the reason for Jesus coming to them on the water was that THAT BOAT was in danger in the storm....so much for that security..... May be he was safer on the water WITH JESUS than in the boat without him......

Wendy said...

You know that, after certain events late last week, it occurs to me that us being out of the boat is confronting and scary for others, especially some in our family.