11 November, 2021

More thoughts on friendship

Recently I was searching for something to listen to while I washed dishes. I'm a restless person who struggles with just listening and doing nothing else, so I've been slow at getting into Podcasts (I also don't commute or drive regularly). But there's a few that I've enjoyed dipping my toes into occasionally, and Undeceptions is one. It's a thoughtful, professional presentation on various topics that are often misunderstood or forgotten. The presenter is John Dickson, a Christian who is unafraid to address hard topics. He's an Australian apologist and historian.

The episode I listened to recently (over several sittings) is called "On Friendship". If you've read many of my blog posts over the years you'll know that I think (and write) on this topic pretty frequently. Friends are really important to me. It was great to listen to different perspectives on the topic, and especially men, talking about friendship. Often this is something we mostly hear from women about, so to hear guys talk about male friendship was really good.

I'm reviewing the transcript as I write, to remind myself of what was said, and here are some gems. 

John's guest, Sam Allberry, points out a reference in John 15 where:

Jesus is actually making a distinction between the kind of relationship he's had with his disciples and where things have now progressed to. And when he . . . talks about, "Greater love hath no man for his friend than this, that he laid down his life for him." It's interesting that when he is talking about the greatest expression of love, Jesus reaches for the category of friendship. He doesn't, in that instance, reach for the category of spouse or marriage as we might expect him to. (Like all the quotes in this blog post, it's from the transcript).

They talk about how a dominant cultural narrative is that marriage and sexual or romantic relationships are deemed the most important relationships, the real way to find intimacy. And the church has followed suit on that. Sam says, 

We've made the focus Christian marriage, I think in a way that's become unhealthy. A, because we've downgraded other forms of relationship that actually all of us need, and B, by doing so, I think we've put pressures on marriage that they're not easily going to be able to bear. And as a consequence we've made churches lonelier for people who are not married, whether that's people who haven't yet got married, or people who are divorced, or widowed, or people like me who've never married. Sometimes it feels like it's very hard to fit into a church family, and we use that terminology, if you're not married and don't have your own nuclear family.

We've downgraded other relationships and also sexualised the concept of intimacy. To the point of close friendship often being assumed to be a sexual relationship.

And they talk about the concept of mateship that is an Australian tradition:

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a form of intimacy, because if intimacy is being really deeply known and accepted at the same time, actually that's quite a rare thing. And we can have a lot of friendships, even long term friendships where it's not necessarily on a heart to heart level, and where it can even become awkward if someone is trying to introduce that element. And so we need mateship, that's part of what makes the world go round, and it's a social lubricant. But I think we need more than that.

An old photo of me and a friend with whom 
I've gone deep.

Interesting thoughts, especially today, Remembrance Day (celebrated in many countries as the day the WW1 ended). The Australian stories from wars are full of mateship. It's interesting to ponder the difference between an average mate and one with whom you've formed a deep relationship with.

So many great quotes. They talked about how marriages need friendship:

I've seen marriages implode because they were looking just to the spouse to fulfill every relational and emotional need in their lives. And I think there's a complexity to us whereby actually one other person is not going to be enough. And it's no slight on a wonderful spouse to say, "Actually I need friends alongside my marriage, not in place of it, but alongside it to augment it."

This is definitely true in our marriage and has been made even more clear over the last 18 months as my social circles have narrowed. My husband is wonderful, but he needs me to have friends outside our marriage, and when I spend time with my friends, that actually makes me a better wife and mother.

John quotes also from CS Lewis' The Four Loves, including, that friendship "has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival."

Last night it was a real joy to have a close friend of one of my sons visit us last night. To listen to the two of them giggling over their dinner (they had a youth group meeting, which meant they ate later than us) was precious. Even more treasured because they've been separated for five months due to his friend being in the US with his parents. They've survived being apart, but being together again is especially precious.

John also talks about how, in close friendship, there is a beauty about being known through and through with no judgment. No need to pretend you are something different to what you actually are. No need to present yourself in any other way than what you are. I think that's what I'm looking for in close friends: the ability to just relax and not have to put on any kind of act, to feel nervous about being myself or worried that I'll overwhelm the other person.

I think that's one thing that makes me very tired when I've been around a lot of people—that I've had to work so hard to find the right thing to say. I'm quite an intense person (even if it doesn't seem that way when you meet me, I put a lot of energy into interfacing with people). This exhaustion has been even more noticeable after months of not interacting closely with people in person.

I want my friendships to be deep, to both feel safe and to make my friends feel safe as we do life together. I'm encouraged by the recognition that friendship is important, probably more important than our culture and churches tend to make us think. 

Friendship for an expat is even more complicated and challenging than most people experience, and that doesn't improve with age. It's good to be reminded that it's definitely worth putting effort into friendship, even though many of our friendships are short-term, rather than the long-term that we long for.

No comments: