03 November, 2021

Answers to my longing for connection

 I was "craving connection" a month ago when I wrote a blog post by the same name. Thankfully October has been a month of connection. Let me count the ways:

Our Saturday BBQ with friends

All-day hang out with friends one Saturday with deep conversation and good food.

The start of a short-term Bible study with three people I've met, but had varying levels of connection to previously. We've all gone deeper. And yes, this is online, but a group of four is much more manageable, and because we're meeting regularly, we're building momentum.

We travelled with colleagues in our van for an hour to an in-person mission meeting. Conversation wasn't light and they heard some of the low points of our year.

Twice in the last six weeks we've had a video call with a couple we were close to in our young adults years. The wife and I have remained close, but it's been harder for the guys. Our calls have been really good and we're committed to calling as a foursome more regularly now.

My usual once-a-month video call with my daily-friends (trio). We text pretty much daily, but in 2021 have made it a point to get together monthly. They're in Australia, so it's always a video call.

Two coffee dates with local expat friends. Oh, the delight!

The big change in October was that at the start of the month, the state of emergency we've been living under practically all year was lifted. So some of the above reflects that. 

I'm good at reflection, but also aware that the difficulties of "now" and "soon" can overshadow what I should be thankful for in the past. So today I choose to be thankful for these connections. God's been filling up my love tank with deep and meaningful connections with friends.

2 comments:

Sharon Davis said...

We in Australia, find it hard to relate to how you managed with such a long 'locked in' time. After 6 months on no personal 'in person' interactions I was 'over it'. We are trying to now be intentional about getting together with people, a games night, a meal. However as things are more open we forget to connect as life happens and we get busy again. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Wendy said...

Yes, in some ways Australians have had it easy (some Australians), but in other ways we've had it easier here in Japan (e.g. with a mask culture already in place). But I think that few in built-up places around the world have some away unscathed by this pandemic. May we remember the lessons we've learned as we go forwards!