05 October, 2011

Can I pick up a latent skill again?

I'm practising this piece at the moment. No particular reason except that I used to be able to play harder pieces than this . . . 20 years ago. I also find playing the piano a soothing activity (when you aren't performing). Oh, and a friend in the neighbourhood has a baby grand piano (my favourite instrument) that I could play, if I make the time. 

It has been a long time since I practised a classical piano piece, though. Listening to this makes me realise how much more I need to do. Could take a while! For those of you who want to know, this is Bach, Two part invention No. 13 in A minor.


4 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

You go, girl! In fact you inspired me to dig out this very same piece and see if I can work it up just for fun. Back when I was 38 I decided to take piano lessons again. That lasted about two years. Now I've got a hankering to get the piano tuned and take it up again. So therapeutic!

Karen said...

Ooh, I remember that one! I think I did it for one of my exams...can't remember what grade it was though. So because it had been practised to death, I don't think I ever played it again!

Wendy said...

Karen, I think it is about 5th Grade AMEB. I didn't aim too high, knowing that I wasn't going to be doing hours of practise daily! And you are right about the "practised to death". I deliberately choose a piece that I've not played before.

Yah Jamie!

Mrs Q said...

I remember Anika playing that one at some stage, I think it was 5th grade AMEB. I've had a go at it myself too but not for ages.