13 October, 2011

Living in Japan, learning American measurement

When we first came to Japan in 2000 with a 20 month old, we hadn't thought in a lot of detail about education. Probably a good thing, because "our plan" has had to change several times as we've gone along the road of parenting! But one thing I certainly didn't think of was that I'd have to learn American currency or that I'd see my kids learning imperial measurement.

On Monday my 6 y.o. brought home his weekly class newsletter. It included this (sorry, it is a bit blurry):
I try very hard to call it "Maths"! But yes, they're learning American currency. I remember four years ago, just prior to our oldest son starting at CAJ. I went looking online to find out about US currency. I had no idea that a nickel was 5 cents, for example. Of course we don't know if they'll ever have a practical use for this knowledge, but not in the foreseen future! I actually saw a nickel the other day, it fell out of a friend's purse. I didn't recognise it at all, however!

My 9 y.o. is doing a measurement unit in maths. Today he came home and had to measure someone – in inches! Thankfully my sewing tape has both centimetres and inches on it! I cannot imagine how most non-American families managed it (and the majority of the class is non-American). After all Japanese have never used the Imperial system. You simply cannot buy something with inches on it here!

I guess as an Aussie I could get upset about all this American stuff that our kids are taught. But it just isn't worth it. I'm just happy that they are getting a good education in a language and system that they (and we) can manage. When we go back to Australia next time, we'll just have to refresh them as to the Australian system of money – which is a lot easier, believe me! A word problem in the American system can look like this: She has two quarters, a nickel and three pennies. How much will she have left if she buys something for 43 cents?

Oh, and I have to be careful about dates. Did you know that Americans write their dates all mixed up (at least by Australian standards)? Month/day/year. And Japanese write it Year/month/day. When you add in Aussie dates at Day/month/year, the possibility to get mightily confused is huge. Particularly when you consider today's date. It could be 10/13/11 or 13/10/11 or 11/10/13!! I always have to think a bit and usually I write something like 13 Oct, 2011. I guess it is all keeping my brain from getting too stuck in its ways!

2 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

It all can be rather confusing...I think British write dates like Aussie's too.
I agree, Math word problems are a bear!

KarenKTeachCamb said...

I found it really wierd having to teach it for a while, and was glad I was old enough to have actually grown up with the imperial system to some extent. Your post prompted me to do a little research, and I was interested to discover that the last remaining imperial units were not actually removed from legal use until 1988. The metrci system was introduded into primary school education in 1972, when I was in fifth grade, so that would explain why I'm pretty comfortable with either. Very glad we now use an Aussie maths program and I don't have to deal with pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars, etc! Mind you our local currency is the riel, but US dollars are largely used, especially for bigger purchases, but no coins!