30 May, 2011

Shoes in the rain

I had a rain-shoes conversation at church yesterday. 

I mention it because this isn't much of an issue in Australia. For two main reasons. Firstly, it usually doesn't rain much most of the time (I know that hasn't been the case this year). Secondly, transportation is usually the car, so water-proof shoes aren't such an issue.

So yesterday, the factors I had to consider were:
  1. It was raining fairly hard (rain depression preceding typhoon/tropical cyclone) and unlikely to let up all day.
  2. Though we usually ride to church, that isn't so easy in the rain. Additionally we had planned to walk anyway as we were headed to lunch straight after church via the train and we didn't want to park our bikes (and pay) at the station.
  3. Therefore I needed clothes and shoes that I was happy to wear all day and especially walking in the rain.
  4. I needed comfortable walking shoes. 1km to church, lots of stairs at the train stations and an unknown distance at the other end to get to the restaurant. 
  5. The temperature was forecast to be about 20 degrees.
1. Ruled out moccasins, which would get soaked easily.
2. Meant umbrellas, not rain coats/pants.
3. Ruled out very long skirts, for example.
4. Ruled out my gum boots (US=rain boots?). As they aren't comfortable for long distances. And who wants to wear gum boots to church anyway? 
5. Ruled out sandals. A little bit too chilly.

Hmmm, what did I have left. My snow boots! They are partially water proof, comfortable for long distances and aren't too ugly to wear on a nice occasion. I don't know what I'll do when these boots wear out (they are getting on for eight or nine years old). Admittedly I use them more for rain than snow these days, though they are often still my first choice in cold weather (below 12) because they are warmer than any of my other shoes.

The other ladies in our "rain shoes" conversation both had wet feet. One had crocks on, which are water proof, but don't keep the water out. The other, in the later stages of pregnancy, had flats on that have holes in them. Both are Westerners who find it hard to buy shoes in Japan. (Thankfully I don't have that problem, I'm just on the top edge of the range with an Australian size 8 foot/25cm).

The small challenges in life that a different climate brings! By the way, I don't mind the rain. It keeps the temperature at a manageable level at this time of year. And having grown up in a family where rain was celebrated; and in a country where rain is so rare; I quite enjoy rain and feel a tiny bit let-down when a rainy period is over. The worst thing is just trying to get clothes dry, but this too passes.

3 comments:

KarenKTeachCamb said...

This time of year I just wear my waterproof sandals! There's a good chance I'll get wet feet going to or coming home from somewhere, even riding the moto, so whatever I wear has to be water proof. Leather sandals are put away until the dry season returns. Fortunately it's rarely cold here when it rains (although some people try to tell me it is). Like you, I enjoy the rain, especially after the years of drought experienced before and since I have been overseas (until this last year). Glad you found something that works for you. Long may they last!

Catherine said...

Wish I'd had those here today. Boy oh boy. Torrential. I am getting used to that here in Sydney.

Haven't sent anything to you yet BTW - still looking out for CD covers! :)

Wendy said...

Cath - just send them. I can easily buy a cover here.

Karen - "cold" is totally relative. Cairns folk shiver at 28 degrees! In the middle of summer here I'd think 28 was beautifully cool, but if it were to shoot for that today I'd feel super hot!