01 May, 2011

Boys are not made of everything nice!

I generally get a lot of sympathy for being the mum of three boys. Every now and then, though, I get annoyed at people who expect boys to be nice, quiet and compliant. And suggest, ever so slightly, that because mine aren't, I'm to blame. 

I'm reminded of the following nursery rhyme:
What are little boys made of?
What are little boys made of?
Frogs and snails
And puppy-dogs' tails,
That's what little boys are made of.
What are little girls made of?
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice
And everything nice,
That's what little girls are made of.
It is a generalisation. I know girls are not all nice. In fact they can be downright nasty. But boys have this amazing tendency to get up people's noses by being smelly and fidgety. A tendency to be physically in each others' faces. A tendency to have their heads in the gutter and their hands in the wrong places at the wrong times. 

Put simply, they aren't always that nice. They aren't always easy to live with or to teach (in the broadest sense of the word). Anyone who says that being the parent of boys is easy or always fun, is deceiving themselves. Sometimes it is just hard and heartbreaking. Sometimes you just have to do your best and put your head down and not listen to what people around you are saying.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the honesty!! Yeah, girls aren't always nice either, but it's true that when people hear of a parent having more than one (or typically when they hear of a parent having only boys) boy, people reactions indicate that they think the parent has a need for sympathy...Hmmmm. Well, there are joys and difficulties with both genders. From one mom of boys to another~Taly =)

Helen said...

My boy is more compliant and quiet than my girl, not that she's particularly loud. I must say it would be easier for me if he was a bit less like me!

Wendy said...

Hmmm, your boys are still very small. The challenge increases as they get bigger and harder to physically dominate. Sorry if that is discouraging!

Mrs Q said...

A mother of four boys and a girl (grown up) told me once that girls are easier when they're young and boys are easier when they're older. As you know I'm a mum of a girl and three boys and I can understand some of what she's saying now that my oldest two are adults. I think that each gender has it's challenges and as a Christian mum I pray for the wisdom to parent both.

Angela H said...

Well, regardless of whatever anyone else thinks, Wendy, I am hearing you! I am a Mum of 2 boys under 3 as you know. Maybe not having a girl changes the dimensions of things, who knows, but I am often frustrated by their loud & boisterous behaviour. Generally they are well behaved, as far as boys go though. If not, its quickly into the naughty corner for time out, regardless of where we are! In fact, sometimes I think Oliver goes more crazy at home on his own turf than when out (not always the way) & the tidiness level of our unit reflects that. I get asked all the time if I want more children. And often accompanying that comment is a comment that once you've had 2 boys, statistically you are most likely to have a 3rd boy (its not 50-50%). I'd love a girl but I don't think John wants to risk a 3rd boy!