22 August, 2020

Broken minds: learning more about mental illness

I read a lot, but I don't enjoy writing book reviews. However, I think this book needs to be shared. It was one of several non-fiction reads I picked for my summer reading and I'm so glad I did.

I didn't grow up with mental illness close by, indeed, I actively avoided this area as a young allied health professional, because I didn't understand it or feel comfortable with it. But, as a middle-aged adult, without my bidding, mental illness has come much closer to my life, but I am still an observer. It is a bewildering and challenging subject and, while I've learned more about it in recently years, there is still much I don't know. I’ve struggled to write about this area, in part because I’m protecting the identity of people I know and love, but also because I know I don’t know a lot about this topic.

This book has been a very helpful way of learning more. It is a great balance of personal story and information. The bonus is that it is written by a Christian couple who have intimate experience with major mental illness (as sufferers as well as a professional). But the book is written with the express purpose of addressing some of the concerns of the Christians about mental health and how it should be viewed and treated.

I am thankful that my family has been spared the worst of Christian viewpoints on this matter, but still, reading this book has been enlightening. As an Australian I come at it from a somewhat different angle to an American. There are many more American Christians than Australian Christians and, Americans have in the past generally been more willing, as a culture, to accept psychology and counselling than in Australia. (That’s changing as Australian become more open to counselling and psychological care.) Therefore, in most of Australia there is a paucity of Christians who are professional counsellors or psychiatrists. Yet, we have been advised in the past by Christians to only seek the counsel of Christian professionals in this area. This hasn't always been helpful advice—we've experienced both bad and good Christian mental health professionals. And we've also received good help from non-Christian professionals. 

The authors highlight how differently we treat non-brain disorders, and repeatedly ask us to consider whether that is a legitimate divide. Do I only go to a Christian doctor for my asthma? In my thinking about the people close to me who struggle with mental illness, I’ve had to remind myself that there is a legitimate biological problem. This is not something that they are choosing, it isn’t something they can will themselves out of. It has been great to see how medication helps, but also realize that medication isn’t a magic pill that makes everything normal again.

The book focuses in on biological depression (as opposed to depression that is caused by challenging circumstances and often resolved through counselling alone), however the authors do touch on other types of mental illness.

Here are some of my highlights from the book:

  • understanding better how biological depression affects someone
  • helpful explanations about medication
  • a historical explanation of how mental illness has been viewed and treated over the centuries
  • an explanation of three main schools of thought in Christian circles (sadly none of them 100% helpful)
  • an examination of people from the Bible and history who may (or may not) have had varying levels of mental illness
I was even comforted by the admission of one of the authors that she has avoided the companionship of those who can't accept that mental illness is a medical condition. This is a challenging enough issue to live with, without unhelpful comments from other people. I’ve had limited exposure to such attitudes, but have no desire to expand that exposure!

I think most of us know someone these days who has been diagnosed with a mental illness. Do them, and yourself, a favour and learn a little more about this poorly understood area. This book would be a good starting point.

No comments: