06 September, 2019

Fun meeting: an oxymoron?

On Monday I was in Osaka with my Japan Harvest magazine team. We spent the whole day together—looking at what we've been doing, planning for the future, and getting to know one another and what we each do better.

I always enjoy these days and I'm gradually getting less nervous about running them. We had our first meeting in 2012. I'm amazed at how far we've come since then! 

On Monday we had seven people attending in person and three joined us via Skype for part of the time. All the key team members were able to join us. One of the team, our proofreader, I met face-to-face for the first time.


Outside Osaka station at rush hour.
One of the reasons we had it in Osaka is that several of our team live in that area. Our proofreader actually lives on Shikoku, the island off the coast of Honshu near Osaka/Kobe. So he had to travel, but Osaka was a lot closer than Tokyo for him.

I still find this whole magazine thing amazing, even though I've been doing it now for nine years. I really wasn't a likely candidate for this job. I have no training in writing or editing or design, I'd never managed a team (beyond my own family), and no one has ever particularly noted that I have any kind of leadership abilities. Of course when I began I had no team to manage. My only qualifications were that I could write a bit and had a passion for communication. I have grown a lot.

That I now manage a team of around a dozen people is astounding to me. Plus I work with over twenty writers each issue of the magazine. I have learnt on the job about editing, magazines, and working with writers and editors. What a journey it has been!
The team learning about how the magazine is designed.
So I do not take what we have for granted. We have a strong, relatively stable team, who is passionate about what they do. They are working in areas that they are gifted in and enjoy contributing their time to serve the missionaries in Japan. No one (except our admin staff who manage the subscriber list and deal with the printer and mailing out the magazine) is paid. Everyone is donating their time and energy to this magazine. And they do such a good job!

As of this month our team is comprised of five nationalities. They live in four countries including Japan and several different prefectures within Japan. As no one is paid we do not meet as a whole team more often than once a year. I quite like it that way, not being fond of meetings, although sometimes it would be great to be able to communicate to people face-to-face more often.

On Monday we spent a significant amount of time walking through the process of the magazine, with people explaining what they do and answering questions from team members. It is the first time we've done that and it seemed to be really valuable time spent, especially the time we spent talking about the design. I think it's going to help us function better as a team and value what others do. Keeping a team together who almost never get together can be a struggle, particularly when trust is broken or miscommunications happen, but I hope that what we did on Monday will strengthen us.
Ken and Karen, our proofreading/design team. They're great and always push
me to up my game!
Getting to and from Osaka wasn't a small thing. It is about 500km from Tokyo. There are three main ways to get there from here: overnight bus, Shinkansen, and plane. I chose the latter. But that still included six trains on the way there and seven on the way home! I didn't rush: going on Sunday and coming back on Tuesday, but I was really tired afterwards. In fact I'm still tired, but more still coming down off the high that the day gave me (in fact I hit a motivational slump today).
Itami Airport in Osaka.
Well, this has been a bit of a mishmash of a blog post. I'm writing in the evening, which I hardly ever do. I set the goal of writing a blog post each week this year and this week is fast running out! Tomorrow we're up before six with school sport starting up again. After working much of last weekend, I'm planning on taking much of this one off, which essentially means trying to stay away from the computer. I'm planning to enjoy being outside at the cross-country venue tomorrow morning and to chill with a book in the afternoons.

I just want to finish this on a note of gratitude. Thanks be to my heavenly Father who has given me this rewarding work and gifted me to do it.
"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them" (Eph 2:20 ESV).

No comments: