27 November, 2018

Emotional rollercoaster

The last ten days have been full of some ugly stuff for us. Three of the things that have entered our lives, via people we love, are stories that aren't mine to tell but are things experienced by many. Three things that have driven me to tears. Things that we wish didn't exist and make us long for heaven and perfect health and relationships.

The one that we can tell, I wrote about yesterday: the financial situation that means our plans for next year are currently on hold. That has been hard to take also, especially this close to our anticipated return to Japan. After many years of having sufficient support, I guess we probably took it for granted a little and so it was unexpected (not that we've ceased in all the last 20 years to pray for ongoing financial support)

I've struggled with nausea and appetite during these days. We got the initial financial news last Wednesday just before we went off to one of the highlights of our home assignment: watching a live international cricket match (first time ever). Talk about emotional rollercoasters! I was lucky to get away without throwing up on someone.

In the midst of this rollercoaster, we've still been meeting with people and spent much of Sunday driving to a church on the Sunshine coast and speaking there.

Today we're in the still centre of the storm: we've sent out our prayer letter with the news, we've told our boys, and now we wait until a key finance person comes back from holidays next week and more discussion happens. Meanwhile, we wait and hope and pray. 


And—I need to say—recover. These blows have come at a time when we're feeling pretty weary. We've worked hard to visit many churches and groups in the last 4 1/2 months and are longing for our planned holidays in December. We also long for certainty about the future, but that will have to wait, though a decision will have to be made about our accommodation before Christmas.

Earlier this afternoon I posted a photo of the trunk of the gum tree (and I've used it here too) I can see from my desk in our front yard. I realised that I can't see the whole majesty of this tree from close up, not even my desk that is about five metres from the tree (with a small awning in the way). You have to stand way back off the property to see the whole tree well. Aren't difficulties we encounter like that? We can only see part of the whole. We certainly rarely can see much beauty in them. It takes time and distance to see any good out of them at all. So we wait. We don't know the end of the story of any of the ugly things that have happened in our lives recently and not knowing the end is really hard. But we have to trust.
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" (Ps 91:2 NIV).
I'm also reminded of the great passage of Romans 8, especially the end: 
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (vs 38-39 NIV).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praying Wendy, hold fast, He knows the future and directs the future. It’s going to be ok, no matter how things turn out because he rejoices over you Zeph 3:17 and he has said he won’t forsake you. He wrote the manual too for our body and lives, so he knows what is best for each of us. He will show you the way. Not just thru the financial but thru the other situations too. Sit down and count the blessing of the years gone by, so you can focus on remembering how he has looked after you before. He never changes, dear friend. What he has done before he will do again, to strengthen your faith in him. It’s never easy to wait, especially when things are unsure for us. It’s a teaching time, of learning to trust him for an unknown future with all u are dealing with. Psalm 121:7 says he watches over your life, (every detail).
He says in Psalm 46: 10 (relax, I’ve got this, take it easy.) and again psalm 37: 23, 31 but read it all it applies to everything we go through. Take heart He loves you, wait, he’ll show you the way. Many times I have been on the same road and he has never failed me. Love to you and know I’m hear if you need a friend to talk to. Deb

Anonymous said...

Amen Wendy. He's got it. He was with the disciples in the storm and calmed it. He may not stop the storm, but He is with you and is in control.