01 April, 2017

Interesting English

As usual I'm on the look out for unusual sights and word-usage while I'm out and about. I found a few recently and snapped photos of them.

I'm wondering what version of English a "dust port" comes from. Otherwise known as a rubbish bin or trash can. In Japan usually known as a gomi bako, how did they get "Dust port"? 

This motorised scooter was parked next to my bike at my local supermarket. I'm wondering what the invitation is: "Let's4" seems an odd thing to put in that particular place, not to mention that I need a noun.

This is not a Japanese app, but the language seemed a little odd to me. "Ponding on the road" and "Breathing is very good in your area". How would they know the state of my lungs? I guess they're talking about pollution?

I spotted the next sight as I drove along a local road. Someone got all excited about putting up warning posters at their local rubbish-collection station. I think it is just English and Japanese.

To finish off, I was reading in an orthodontist's waiting room this morning and found this sentence: "Another hallway was perpendicular to the staircase." This gave me vertigo! Which angle of the staircase did the author mean? That the hallway angled upwards towards the ceiling? Because this is a Kindle book I can look up this word usage in the book and I'm not too surprised to find that this author uses this slightly unusual word three times in the book. She must like it!






1 comment:

Ken Rolph said...

My woodworking machinery has dust ports. It's where you plug in the vacuum system to take away the chips and sawdust from the blades.