01 August, 2011

Sad story

Here's a sad story:

ABANDONING GRANDMA

A female college student from the Japan 3/11/2011 disaster area, wrote to a well-known psychiatrist, Dr J Umihara, the following letter (shortened):

    “Whatever I do, I can't help but be strongly reminded of the events of March 11! That day, I tried to escape with my grandmother as the monstrous tsunami hit our town, gulping up everything in its path.
    At one point grandma sat down and said she couldn't run anymore. I wanted to carry her, but she firmly refused, and forcibly told me, ‘Go, go!’ Apologizing for leaving her, I ran away alone. Three days later, her body was found some distance from where we had separated.
    Grandma was such a graceful and gentle person, and I admired her greatly. But in the end, her body was left lying on the floor of a gymnasium like a fish at the market. It was as if her dignity as a human had been totally neglected.
    I abandoned her to her fate and fled alone. Do I have to live the rest of my life cursing such evil?
    How can I make up for what I did? I cry every day, and everything is so difficult for me. Please help me.
    From A”

Psychiatrist, J Umihara wrote her as follows:

“Dear Ms. A,
    I couldn't help but cry as I read your letter. Living with such pain! No wonder every day is so difficult for you. But I disagree that you abandoned your grandmother to her fate.
    Your grandmother was lucid and able to make a snap decision during a terrifying situation. She exercised her own will and demanded you flee alone. She must have thought both of you would die if you tried to escape together.
    She instead believed you had a better chance of survival if you escaped alone. That is why she firmly refused your offer to carry her. Her judgment was correct as you were able to survive. You live now as a reflection of her will.
    Also, no matter what appearance one has in the end, it can never ruin one's dignity during life. Even if your grandmother was left lying on the gymnasium floor, she lived her life with dignity and pride.
    Please don't forget you have inherited her wonderful spirit. Living your life in such a manner will allow her memory to live on!”

The person who sent me the story commented that it was a pity the psychiatrist couldn't give A some eternal hope.

1 comment:

KarenKTeachCamb said...

Sad, and probably repeated many times on that sad day. We can only pray that someone else will reach out to A with the eternal hope that you are there to support the sharing of and to share yourselves.