26 August, 2011

Embarrassment at the gym

I finally found time to get back to the gym. Since David started work last week it's been very difficult to get away. But I have to tell you about the funniest thing that happened there today.

I was exercising away, minding my own business. At Curves you do about 14 machines in rotation, 30 seconds per machine and 30 seconds at a recovery station between machines. On the recovery station you are supposed to keep moving. Everyone interprets that differently. In Japan they seem to interpret it at a much more sedate level than in Australia. In Australia the gym instructors encouraged us to do all sorts of "moves" at these places. In Japan mostly people walk or slowly jog. I figure, I'm paying to come here, I may as well have a good workout, so I usually go at it pretty hard. Jogging and interspersing that with other "moves". Like opposite hand to foot, or twisting at the waist.

Occasionally I spend one of the 30 seconds kicking my feet out in front of me up as high as I can and clapping my hands underneath my legs. I love this one, but it freaks other people out. Sometimes I get remarks, but today the response was over the top. A few ladies started talking about me and then one said, "You're so young, you aren't 30 yet are you?" I assured her I was on my way to 40 and her response was basically: "No way!!!" She then immediately went to all her neighbours and spread the word. That must have convinced these ladies that they weren't so old after all (I'm guessing they were in their 50s or 60s) and they started to try to kick their legs up too. It was both embarrassing and hilarious. However I am pretty happy with the "age" compliment.

5 comments:

Deb said...

Trend-setting at a Japanese gym. I love it!

Deb said...

By the way, Iron Chef has taken over for my kids as the cooking show of choice in the house. It's a strange thing - I'm equally fascinated and curious and laughing at the oddity when I watch it. Is it watched much in Japan or just some cast-off show that lives on SBS in Australia? The kids were making pretend "dubbed" comments in the style of Iron Chef at tea tonight. It was hilarious.

Wendy said...

Deb, I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know. We don't watch Japanese TV. Our TV isn't even connected (not that it would make much difference now because they've gone digital and our TV is a bit of a dinosaur).

Deb said...

Okay, so I've just googled Iron Chef and worked out why you've never heard of it. According to wikipedia, it finished in 1999! And Australia and the US are the only places still showing it. And it probably wouldn't be nearly as much fun in Japanese anyway. Part of the attraction is the weird English dubbing that makes the whole thing so odd that it's fun. You sort of don't know if your enjoying it or laughing at it. Cult classic. My kids are sure to one day think back to their childhoods and ask, "What was that really, really strange cooking show Mum would watch with us?"

Wendy said...

I had heard of it, but mostly through Australian friends who loved it. You're not the only one! And from memory, the translations were funny (and not totally accurate).