15 March, 2011

Day four post earthquake

When I put the light out last night I wondered aloud what today would hold. Each day since Friday has produced a new challenge or a new variable, I wondered what today's would be.

The new one was a variation of the old - the trains weren't running at our end of the line. They stopped at a station closer to the city. Hence, our plan to go to a big park was modified (it involved trains) and instead we pulled out our bikes and had a family bike ride, which was good for all of us. This train uncertainty also prompted the school to pull the plug on school for the rest of the week.

I also had to tackle the shops today, something I've avoided ever since rumours of power cuts filtered down to us. With my husband home much of the day I was free to dash off straight after breakfast. Good thing I did. There were fruit and veggies and other useful items when I went. After I returned home I found out that my offer to help feed the people working at the CRASH command centre down the road had been taken up and we needed different grocery items, like chicken. So after lunch I went back to the same shop. These photos are what I found. Along with a number of bewildered shoppers who looked like they'd gotten out at the wrong stop.

I think there were two minute noodles and other quick meals.
Bread and cereal section.
Paper product aisle - toilet paper etc.
We have enough food, this is really more inconvenience than any big problem. Especially when there are people up north who are much worse off.

I've been seeking quieter moments to get my thoughts together to write the short articles I mentioned at the end of yesterday's blog post. That hasn't been easy, let me tell you. Not with three energetic boys in the house. Thankfully they spent a lot of time playing Lego and chess today.

Now I'd better go and ensure that the Shepherd's Pie I made earlier is warmed up and get it on the table for us. Oh, yes. They promised us power outages, but again they haven't materialised. The uncertainty is not fun, but at least I've had plenty to keep my hands from being idle.

Thank you for your prayers. Here is a place where you can find some specific prayer points.


1 comment:

Sandy said...

Praying for you. What are you hearing about the radiation? Any effect for you all?