27 April, 2024

Day 41: Sorell to Cockle Creek

This Monday morning we drove to the home of friends I knew when I was at high school. They moved to Tasmania when I was at uni. I stayed with them in the mid 90s when I came down here for a professional conference, but we haven't stayed in touch, aside from being Facebook friends. It's been 30 years and a lot of water has gone under the bridge! They had two little boys back then and I wasn't married. There was a lot to catch up on.

Not a bad view (though a bit streaking, after driving
on dirt). This is Cockle Creek.
After we spent time with them we stopped for groceries and then headed to the bottom of Australia. Our goal was "the end of the road" at a place called Cockle Creek. It turned out the end of the road was more than a half hour of dirt road, fairly rough dirt road. But we made it to this isolated spot on the bottom edge of the massive Southwest National Park. There are a number of places you can just pull off the road and stay for the night. They've even installed toilets, but that's the extent of the facilities.

We read the next day that this is closer to Antarctica than the top of Australia, but when I researched that a little I found that even Hobart is closer to Antarctica than the top of Cape York (brrr).
Cockle Creek




No comments: