26 February, 2018

Yesterday's Global Hymn Sing

At the start of the month I wrote about the Global Hymn Sing that OMF and Keith and Kristen Getty were promoting. It was yesterday (in Japan time), the 25th of February. 

It seems that close to one million people participated across the world. But I suspect that there's a number of churches who participated and didn't get registered (there's still time to register, if your group sang, but aren't on this map).

Our church sang the hymn at all three of our services and then a special global praise and prayer time was held after lunch. We had 16 people there (plus children), which was a great encouragement. 
We aren't leaders in our church, so it was something I told our pastor about and he organised it, however he sought to involve the two OMF families who attend our church (us and another family). I didn't feel able to lead from the front (in Japanese), but unexpectedly I did get to help in that I played the piano for a couple of hymns that we sang at the prayer meeting. I had no warning that I was to play, so it was satisfying to know that I can still sightread hymns! Alas I had to decide on the spot that the designated hymn's arrangement was too tricky to sightread. Without a song leader, the new refrain was a bit tricky (the hymn is an old one, by Isaac Watts, but the Gettys wrote a new refrain for this event) and the piano arrangement didn't include the melody, which made it even trickier!

But as I said at the start of this post, it was an encouraging time. It's a mission-minded church and wonderful to see so many people turn out for a non-regular prayer meeting. Though it seems set to become an annual event!


No comments: