05 November, 2017

Coffee comparison

I haven't done much price comparison here before (once in 2011), but this one particularly intrigues me.

This article looks at coffee prices in various popular coffee chains in Japan. The graph they present is prices of "regular-sized straight coffees" (whatever that is). The prices range from 190 yen for a cup (AU$2.18) to 580 yen (AU$6.64). Though I suspect that the more expensive the coffees were, the smaller the cups were!

I've sampled coffee at several of the cafes featured and my preference is for those in the upper middle range. Those coffees are around 300 yen (AU$3.44). Although I usually buy the more expensive cafe latte. A "tall" cafe latte at Tullys is 410 yen. If Wikipedia is correct about Tullys in Japan, that is a 350ml cup.

My curiosity is about Australian coffee shops. How do the prices compare? How much do you pay for a regular-sized straight coffee in Australia? (And what is that anyway, in Australian coffee-terms, a short black?)

My other question is related to coffee, but not this the price so much. I prefer my coffee in a mug. And am annoyed that Starbucks just uses disposable cups (not that I go there often). But I am interested in the idea of using my own. I believe that you get a small discount in some places when you do that. I haven't tried it yet (I've only got my somewhat dowdy camping travel mug). I'm wondering if I did, what sort of travel mug I should get and what size? But again, I prefer a ceramic mug to drink my coffee out of . . . it's not quite the same out of a plastic container.

Back to my original question: I'm interested in hearing, what the current cost of cafe coffee is in Australia!

No comments: