14 June, 2011

Five books that changed who I am

Cath linked me in this book meme. She borrowed this image from the blog she was linked on, so I'm going to spread the joy and "borrow" it too. Great image, though some of those books aren't in the greatest condition.

It seems like the decent thing to do – to rise to the challenge, though I do admit to having taken a few days to mull over the problem.

"Five books that changed who I am". Where on earth do I begin. It doesn't say that "most" changed who I am or that made the biggest changes in who I am – just books who changed me. I, therefore, am not going to mull any longer. Here are five of the many books which have changed me.

Heidi probably (if my poor memory serves me correctly) ignited my love for longer books. These days there are lots of "chapter books", but back in the 70s, that wasn't so much the case. I remember devouring this book one hot summer on holidays up north one year. The other appeal of the book was my mother's maiden name in the book and how old it smelt. There is something special about reading a book that your mother used to read as a child.

Too Busy Not to Pray by Bill Hybels
I read this during university and it revolutionised my prayer life. I remember being passionate about prayer for the first time in my life after reading this. From my recollection it isn't terribly amazing in what it says, but it was the right book read at the right time for me.

Second Mile People by Isobel Kuhn
I was required to read this and present a book review on a mission trip to Indonesia I did at the end of my third year of university. I'd already read many missionary biographies, but this book knocked me almost flat. Isobel Kuhn wrote in a very candid style for someone of her era. This book is a series of short stories of people who aren't identified (some or all are missionaries) who went beyond what most people consider "acceptable sacrifice".

Prayer by Philip Yancey
Yes, another prayer book. This is a formidable looking book. Large and fairly comprehensive for a lay person like myself. But it too has changed my prayer life. Made me bolder, less concerned about whether I'm theologically correct. It's challenged me to take a bigger view of God.
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
This book changed how I view my kids, particularly my middle son. It seemed as though this author actually knew our challenging son! It changed my parenting, it changed how I viewed myself as a parent. It is a book that comes off our shelf every now and then when we're feeling "parentally challenged" and we're amazed and encouraged all over again.

As I decided that the title wasn't calling me to decide on the most influential books in my life I didn't feel the need to include in my "five" the Bible. That really is the book that has had most influence on my life. My journey with this book hasn't been full of exciting life-shattering moments. More like a gentle, quiet voice as I've made decisions day-by-day, week-by-week and year-by-year. But as Cath mentioned, it is more than a book, it comes with something better than a free CD, it comes with the Living Word, Jesus, who lives in my heart and the Holy Spirit who applies it to my life, who guides me and helps me. You therefore cannot really compare it with any other book.

I tag...Helen, Simone, Karen, Mrs Q and Faith. If you ladies want to have a go, Ally's rules are below. As for the rest of you, what book or books would be on your list?
  • Tag between three and five people
  •  link back to this post
  • call the post "five books that changed who I am"
  • enjoy

    3 comments:

    Footprints Australia said...

    Sounds like fun ... I think I'll have to join this one over on the Footprints blog!

    Meredith said...

    I remember reading Too Busy Not to Pray at uni and having a similar experience...and now reflecting back on that book in a similar way!

    KarenKTeachCamb said...

    Thanks for the challenge Wendy. This one needs some thought, and I'm not up for that right now, but I'll do it sometime soon, AFTER the end of year school concert, and I move house, and I get through the last week of school. I will do it though. I'm up for it. Thinking already about who I can tag!