28 August, 2020

Seizing the day in the park

On Wednesday we finished the Autumn issue of Japan Harvest magazine, several days before September, the theoretical start of Autumn (according to some). I saw in my Facebook memories today that five years ago we were packing the Spring issue this week—wow, we've made progress in efficiency in those intervening years! (Five years ago we were still recovering from me taking a year off managing the magazine to go on home assignment, and had a designer who was trying to fit the magazine around a full-time job.)

Finishing each magazine is a milestone worth celebrating, and it frequently means I get a tiny bit of breathing space before the next thing begins. This week I really needed that. School started on-campus for our boys for the first time in nearly six-months last Thursday, but due to COVID-19, they've had a slow start (only half days till Sept 7). There have been sudden announcements and changes in what we expected of the school-start as we've progressed through the week, including more distance learning for one. So, I've been cooling my heels as I long to get my family-free office hours back.

That all came at the end of a stressful month. The first eight working days after coming back from holidays on August 3rd were frenetic as I caught up on the previous two weeks. 

It's been the usual August weather—crazy hot and humid—so our sleep hasn't been the best and for the first time in six months we've been getting up at 6am to get David to work on time, so we've been extra tired. 

Additionally, I've had interactions with several people I usually work with that have been more fraught than usual. I put it down to the stress of living in the midst of a slow-moving, and not-yet-ended disaster. 

Then I've had email problems that have come to a head on the weekend when my magazine email address stopped working. (The problem with email is that you don't know if it has arrived.)

So, on Wednesday afternoon, as I looked at what I needed to get done in the next few days, I realised that I had time to take a morning at the park. Unfortunately it didn't cool down as much this week as I'd hoped (we had a cooler day on Sunday and I hoped that would continue, but it hasn't). So instead of riding to the usual park, I took a couple of trains (only 15 mins on trains) to a different park for the morning.

I've never been to this park on my own, and I've not been there for a couple of years at least. We went there many times with the boys when they were younger, as well as with smaller and larger groups of people. There is a big playground that was great for getting rid of energy. It also has an aeroplane museum that was a great place to go when the boys were younger and we needed "out" on an inclement day. I even lost a child in this park one time...he's now at uni in Australia, so he was found, eventually!

It's called Kōkūkoen or Tokorozawa Aviation Memorial Park. Wikipedia says, "The park is built on the former site of Tokorozawa Airfield, Japan's first airfield, which was opened on April 1, 1911. Japan's first plane, the Kaishiki biplane No.1, made its first flight at Tokorozawa on October 13, 1911."


Though only 30/32C, the humidity was high (in the 70% range), so I quickly found a spot to sit. This was part of my view. Disconcertingly, it was close to a running track (you can see it in the photos). So I watched people actually running in the hot, humid conditions!


Below was my view from my seat above. Beautiful mowed lawns.

This small lake is quite pretty in spring and autumn, not so much in late summer.

The park has two or three long, straight roads like this (no external traffic on them). I'm guessing they are former runways.

No idea what this is, but they were pretty much the only flowers in the whole park.

Wisteria in the summer is a wonderful shade plant. These have amazing, twisted trunks, revealing they aren't youngsters. (In the background is part of the museum.)

One of the things I did while sitting, was read a recent book by Larry Crabb. It's given me much food for thought that will probably make its way into another blog post soon.

I'm thankful for a job that is flexible and with low accountability. I have no one closely looking over my shoulder. This suits me very well. It means I can run into difficulty if I'm slack, but generally it works out okay as I'm one of those people who repeatedly had "conscientious" on my report cards at school. I've learned to "seize the day" when slower periods like the latter half of this week happen along. If I don't they will slip away, and I might not get another chance for several weeks!

Do you get free-er moments sometimes in your week/month? How do you deal with them? Do you have a go-to activity?

No comments: